Harry

Harry

Friday, February 18, 2011

Career Change

Sometimes we can't fit a square peg into a round hole and it isn't fair to keep trying. This is the truth about Harry and the hunter ring. As much as I love the Hunters, Harry doesn't. After a test run last week and a stressed out, skinny horse who needed a LOT of time to wind down enough to be ride-able, I had come to terms with the jumpers this weekend. And now, having done it, I'm so glad I was gently pushed in the general direction of making my horse happy. I haven't shown the jumpers since...um...1995 maybe? On Lego? In Wisconsin? So, overall it went really well.

1. I don't have to wear a hunt coat! Today was a navy polo...tomorrow might be black...or pink!
2. Harry comes out of his stall and goes to the ring. No prep. No stress. No lunging. It's great.
3. My horse was relaxed and happy!

I did have one slightly scary moment: my trainer made the jumps in the practice ring up REALLY high (higher than I have jumped on Harry until today). And I was more afraid of Mary Lisa than I was of the jump so I put on my big girl undies and cantered on down!

No pictures today, sorry! I was really busy and my mom is here. LOTS of pictures tomorrow, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment