Harry

Harry

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Awesome
















Picture 1: Me and Harry hanging out this morning
Picture 2: The main hunter ring, it's BEAUTIFUL here!
Picture 3: The view from Harry's back
Picture 4: Harry's stall (that's him in there)



I'm not even sure where to begin. First, the amazing barn I ride with runs a TIGHT ship at Rolling Acres. From Mr. and Mrs. Nicholson in their 80's to the grooms and the AMAZING trainers, it's truly a team effort. I feel so grateful to be here in Ocala with them.

Callie and I got up and went to breakfast in the hotel lobby (hard boiled eggs to be taken for lunch, for those of you who know me, this is PERFECT). We headed to the show grounds and Callie and I agree that the Florida roads are some of the most poorly marked we've ever seen.

Harry was happy to see me and tired of being in his stall so we went for a long walk around the grounds. This was really an excuse for me to get the lay of the land: the grounds are HUGE and I did a ton of walking. Harry was very happy to hang out and watch the action in the rings. We went back to the barn and tacked up to go for a ride. Harry was his usual mellow, happy self under saddle and I was happy to have my horse after 10 days of not riding. The grounds are amazing and we just wandered for a while before having a schooling session with my trainer Patty.

I had some time so the barn manager put me to work at the pony ring. I got to help two of our kids with their ponies and watch some really lovely ponies and kids in the ring.

Then, finally, it was Harry's and my turn! We were competing in the 2'6 HITS Hunters to prep for the 3ft Adults next week. Harry schooled beautifully(prepared and warmed up) so we headed over and I learned my course for the first round. I'll admit the minute and 30 seconds was kind of a blur...there were lots of things I need to do better...I need to put my butt in the saddle sooner and I need to pull my shoulders back and I need to BREATHE a little bit more. Harry needs to work on just chilling out and understanding that we actually DON'T want him to go fast! His last two jobs: race horse and event horse, often involved going very fast.

Things that were good: the first 3 jumps of all our courses. I kept my eyes up. I didn't throw my body too badly. Harry was NOT a fire breathing dragon. I kept my cool and had a great attitude. Harry jumped ALL the jumps. This is just the list of good things that I remember, I'm sure there were many more...Oh! One more: the purple yarn in his braids!!!! So pretty!

Tomorrow I'm working and will take Harry for a bunch of nice long walks and have a mini-lesson with Patty and watch MaryLisa in the grandprix! Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment